openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT, DISCUSS]: no migration/use of former user profile with AOO 4.0
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:54:10 GMT
Le 17/01/2013 03:16, Rob Weir a écrit :
> So let's play detective here, and "think like a bug".  If something
> went wrong, what are likely causes?
>
> -- The profile conversion can't be totally broken or it would fail for
> every upgrade

The crashes can occur even with a brand new installation so the profile conversion is not
the first thing to look at (and it was deactivated from AOO 3.4.0 IIRC).

> -- It cannot depend on a very rare situation, like a specific macro
> import or a rarely used extension, otherwise we would not see many
> reports at all.

Indeed. And see above, it occurs with fresh installations.

> So what is in the middle?   Volume of changes?  Exceeding a specific
> string length?  Some data type conversion issue?  Locale dependency?
> Character set conversion?

Volume of changes: since it can happen almost immediately after installation, I would say
it's a dead end.
String length: could be; but why resetting the profile should fix it? Except if there is a
voluntary tweaking by the user (rather rare).

Hagar