openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT, DISCUSS]: no migration/use of former user profile with AOO 4.0
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 07:55:36 GMT
Hi,

On 17.01.2013 03:16, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Regina Henschel
> <rb.henschel@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> I had the crash problem too, but unfortunately I do not have the user
>> profile any longer. But I can list some things, which I usually do with each
>> version:
>>

> Wow, this is quite a list!
>
> So let's play detective here, and "think like a bug".  If something
> went wrong, what are likely causes?
>
> -- The profile conversion can't be totally broken or it would fail for
> every upgrade
>
> -- It cannot depend on a very rare situation, like a specific macro
> import or a rarely used extension, otherwise we would not see many
> reports at all.
>
> So what is in the middle?   Volume of changes?  Exceeding a specific
> string length?  Some data type conversion issue?  Locale dependency?
> Character set conversion?
>
> If it is any single cause then it could be narrowed down by a binary
> search style set of tests.  Tedious, but doable.
>
>> - Add name to user data, turn off "Help Agent", increase Graphics cache to
>> maximum, number of objects to 100, set number of undo steps to 20.
>> - In Pathes: Add AutoCorrect, AutoText, Gallery, and Templates from a folder
>> outside my home directory, do not make it the default. Set Graphics to the
>> default Windows folder for personal pictures.
>> - Set Macro Security to Medium.
>> - Set JRE to Java 1.6.0.37.
>> - Have Online Update to check automatically every week.
>> - Clear checkbox "Size optimation for ODF settings".
>> - Set HTML to Export OOoWriter and Character set UTF-8.
>> - Change Languages to not use the "default" item, enable both items in
>> enhanced language support.
>> - Set personal document templates from the added path (see above) as default
>> template.
>> - Define own toolbar in Draw and in Impress with commands for macros.
>> - Import about 10 macro libraries.
>> - In Draw and Impress: Dock toolbar 'Options' to the left and customize it.
>> Customize the drawing toolbar to show the toolboxes instead of single
>> shapes. Drag the zoom sub-toolbar from the standard bar and dock it. Stack
>> Page pane and Style&Formatting window.
>> - Customize standard toolbar: remove, disable and add commands.
>> In Writer dock table and numbering toolbar to the right, Style&Formatting
>> window to the left, show drawing toolbar, customize standard toolbar, define
>> own toolbar for macros.
>>   - Install a German or an English language pack, depending on which is the
>> basis installation. Make sure the dictionary is installed and install it, if
>> it is missing. Keep the default installed extensions.
>>
>> Including the recent document list, this results always in a
>> registrymodifications.xcu with size around 800KB.
>>
>> All that was done on WinXP. [I'm now on Win7.]
>>
>> I think, this might give you an imagination of "highly customized".
>>
>> Kind regards
> [...]

I now have an user profile which causes constantly crashes.
It had been "created" on a Windows 7 machine where I had OOo 3.3, AOO 3.4 and
now AOO 3.4.1 installed.
I did not remember what I did in step #2, but it was very little - I think.

I am now ready to debug the crash. It happens somehow when trying to access
certain installed extensions. This is just the first glance. Thus, do not nail
me down on it, when I find out that it is something else ;-)

I keep you informed.

Best regards, Oliver.