openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [WEBSITE] broken link on mac porting page
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:18:06 GMT
Am 01/10/2013 10:59 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> Sounds good. Actually, we can redirect everything under
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
>>>
>>> to the homepage, since links on the old page include support,
>>> screenshots, downloads... all resources directly available from the
>>> project homepage.
>>

>> Then I would like to volunteer to try this on Sunday.
>>

> Hi Marcus,
>
> I took a closer look at the data and I have some concerns from an SEO
> perspective.
>
> We get a large number of visits from users who query Google for terms like:
>
> openoffice for mac
> open office mac
> openoffice mac
> free office for mac
> download openoffice for mac
>
> Try these queries in your browser.   See the porting page is the
> number one hit.  For me the 2nd hit is CNet and then we start hitting
> malware sites.  We don't get another openoffice.org web page until
> position #10 in the search results.
>
> If we redirect to the home page, which does not mention "Mac"
> anywhere, then the next time Google updates its index it will see that
> as the contents of /porting/mac and judge it to be far less relevant
> to queries like "openoffice for mac".

Does it help to leave some keywords on the "/porting/mac/index.html"?
The the Google indexing bot recognize it, redirects then to the new
webpage and we keep the search hits.

> So I think we should consider this carefully.

Of course.

 > Is there anything
> actually wrong with the /porting/mac page as it is?

Ahm, besides totally outdated and no longer needed data not. ;-)

When I look around there is nearly nothing that should be kept (links,
screenshots, X11 <--> Aqua, release news about older versions, FAQs).

> Here's an alternative idea.  If the issue is that this is no longer a
> "porting" project, then maybe we could do something like this:
>
> 1) Create a new landing page for users interested in OpenOffice for
> Mac. Maybe it is at http://www.openoffice.org/mac.  Maybe it is based
> on whatever is relevant still from /porting/mac.  It doesn't need tons
> of content, but enough to be relevant.
>
> 2) Redirect /porting/mac/* to /mac/index.html
>
> 3) Delete the old /porting/mac

Why does a Google search behave different here? Sorry, I don't see the
difference to just redirect.

PS:
I want to get rid of the old content but of course not loose the Google
search hits.

Marcus