openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [WEBSITE] broken link on mac porting page
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:38:14 GMT
Am 01/07/2013 09:54 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> Thanks, fixed. I've also removed some very outdated information
>>> (actually the whole section is outdated, Mac OS X is a supported
>>> platform and no longer a port).
>>

>> When this website and its subpages are outdated and MacOS X is indeed since
>> a longer time a well-supported and major platform, does it then make sense
>> to keep these webpages as part of porting?
>>
>> I doubt this and suggest to delete the complete
>> "http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/" stuff.
>>

> We need to be careful.  This is actually a very popular page with many
> 3rd party websites linking to it and around 4000 visits/day.  It is
> also the top link for Google queries like "openoffice for mac".

Hm, I thought that this would be the argument to keep it. ;-)
Yes, 4000 is too high to delete it simply.

> So I'd recommend either keeping the page and updating it.  Or
> replacing it with a page that says that the Mac port is now full
> integrated with our releases and then link to the download page.  Or
> put in a 401 redirect from that URL to the download page.  But it is
> well-trafficked enough that we can't have the URL vanish.

OK, then I prefer to use a redirect to the download area. Otherwise we
would still keep a single page in the porting area that is no longer
necessary (yes, from the logical and technical point of view).

Any other with a different opinion or alternative solution?

Thanks

Marcus