openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Buildbot standard a.o or our own.
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 06:12:09 GMT
On 1/2/2013 2:25 AM, janI wrote:
> Andrea:
>
> thx for your observations.
>
> With the very low activity we have on trunk, there might be no reason for
> statistics.
>
> I am simply just used to a more comfortable and flexible build system. If I
> want to check my l10n changes on different platforms I have to (or so I
> have been told) merge it to trunk and maybe be a pain for all others, an
> alternative (which is seen in other build systems) is a possibility to
> register a branch for a single night-compile.
If it was a persistent branch or tag, it would be very easy to set up a
nightly build for it.  (I'd be happy to do that, and we have resources
available to do it)
Beyond that it gets more difficult.  Our build is pretty complex, and
each of the platforms takes a bit of tweaking - and still, they can be a
bit finicky.

The other issue is that we have a pretty long running build - 2 to 12
hours - and it contains a lot of long running processes.  The problem
here is that the ci frameworks have a hard time canceling a build, when
they kill the process, they often leave around multiple child processes,
some which hang and cause future builds to break. This is a long winded
description of why the current approach focuses on nightly builds vs.
triggered builds.

Each of our builds is also pretty resource intensive, and if we are not
careful, it is pretty easy to cause problems for the projects who we
share buildbots with.

The above isn't meant to say that things are best as they are, or even
where we want it to be. This also isn't to suggest there aren't many
improvements to be made.   I'm just trying to illuminate the hurdles we
face.

A.