openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some development ideas
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:19:35 GMT
Hi;

----- Messaggio originale -----
> Da: Rob Weir

>>  4) Replace rtl::math::random with the random nuber generator in APR. We
>> have a random number generator in SAL that we use for bookmarks in
>> documents and to seed the PRNG. APR has a crypto grade number generator
>> that could be used instead. This would add a SAL dependency on APR, but
>> it's likely that APR has functionality that would be interesting for the SAL module.
>>

> Is there an opportunity to also get functions for distributions other
> than uniform?  A randomnormal(mean, stdev)  function would be quite
> useful.

You can do that with the boost PRNG but it's somewhat broken and I won't
recommend it. The is more like a random device .. it's a real random number
generator that attempts to be naturally unpredictable.

>>  5) We use hypot a lot (look it up in opengrok), perhaps we should add an
>>  implementation in SAL.
>>
>>  Pedro.
>>
>>  ps. If someone wants to open bugzilla issues for any of these, please
>> don't include me, I specifically don't have time for any of it.
>>

> I'd still recommend entering these ideas into Bugzilla, classified as
> a "task" and setting an appropriate "difficulty" level.

Feel free to do that but I don't want to have to remove myself from
any notifications because I don't want them at all. Please do NOT
include me.

If the tasks get forgotten, so be it, maybe they are not that useful
at all.

Pedro.