openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From kieth lovell <m3...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject (old) New feature/option to prevent autodata alterations in calc
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 04:56:46 GMT
My name is kiet lovell,
I am an serial small scale entrepeneur, and I like to do my business plans (as well as everything
else) in spreadsheets.

For years I have suffered as
	1. numbers are turned to dates

	2. phone numbers are altered

	3. lower case data is changed to identical higher case data (eg: data to DATA(when DATA is
a separate piece of data that i typed than the lower case))

	4. If I type Scone then i can not write s, sc, sco, or scon in the same field without my
data being altered to the full word scone.

There is no solution to this in the options for calc.
Please do not reference selecting every cell as text or another type of data as it only stops
certain types of alterations.

What needs to be done is that there needs to be an option to turn off all autodata transformations.

It should be in tools>options>openoffice.org calc>general>input settings

Thank you in advance
Kiet Lovell

The important part of the message is the piece above, the following are just my views/or justifications.

I am sending this to the development mailing group as this issue has been complained about
by at least hundreds of users for several years without solution.

If you do not think it is a big problem then please google any of the following phrases:

Office keeps changing numbers to dates
Turn off autodata in calc
Prevent openoffice changing my data
etc.

I have spent weeks of my life trying to fix this problem to no avail.
The only way i can use calc is to change the data such as putting letters with phone numbers
and when unable to input the correct data, by inputting slightly wrong data so that it isn't
changed to a different value.

Almost all users of calc use it for home finance or education or business purposes, and all
of these can be badly affected by unsanctioned changes to data.

Microsoft office in it's latest reincarnation is unusable for a professional and libre office
has the same problem as openoffice.

If you the developers of open office cannot fix this then i will either:
	* continue to suffer in relative silence
or less likely
	* spend 6 months learning to program and produce my own software that i will charge for.
or probably

	* downgrade to an efficient OS like windows 3.1 when computers were made for saving time
and money, not costing you it