openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: new languages for AOO 3.4.1
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:37:58 GMT
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <arielch@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 01:39:59PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> based on some earlier discussion I think we have reached more common
>>> consensus that we 1. want release further languages for AOO 3.4 1 and 2.
>>> how we can do that.
>>>
>>> To make it more concrete I have created a new wiki page [1] where I

This looks good, and it looks like we need an issue filed for Danish...

>>> would like to document the release process, the proposed release
>>> schedule, how the new translation will be integrated etc.
>>>
>>> The page is not yet complete and we can add further information on
>>> demand. Please help me to document the issues, references to
>>> dictionaries etc.
>>>
>>> I propose to extend the deadline a little bit to reflect the holidays
>>> and the new year's day.
>>>
>>> Proposed release schedule:
>>> - translation deadline, January 4th, 2013.
>>> All new translation have to be available as attachment to a new related
>>> issue for each language.
>>> - availability of 1. developer snapshots, January 11th, 2013
>>> - potential 2. developer snapshots, January 25th, 2013
>>> - GA, January 31th, 2013
>>>
>>> Any opinions, concerns or feedback? Follow up discussion should take
>>> place on the dev list only (the list where decisions are made).
>>
>> It may be a good idea to build all languages, or at least those with 80%
>> of the UI translated, but release only those with 100%; we could leave
>> the rest in people.apache.org as unofficial builds (at least langpacks),
>> and point people to them instead of you-know-what http://s.apache.org/yY
>>

> We can't do that.  We either release or we don't release a language.
> If we're not releasing it then we should not be pointing users to it
> on people.apache.org.   This is an issue both from Apache release
> policy and Infra policy (bandwidth issues).
>
> However, we could talk about actually releasing 80% complete
> languages, maybe marking them "beta" or "provisional" or something
> else.

Well even if "provisional", some of these releases might be pretty
unfriendly for the end user. On the other hand, we might encourage
some involvement with completing these translations.

> If we vote to release them then we can distribute via the
> normal ways.
>
> Of course, if a translation is 80% AND we have volunteers working to
> complete it, then it makes sense to build milestone builds with those
> languages, to facilitate the translation and QA work of those
> languages.
>
> -Rob
>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> La Plata, Argentina

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
 she wants, rather than to create it herself?”

-- Anais Nin