openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Draft: Guidelines for redistributing (an original) Apache OpenOffice with 3rd party bundles (e.g. books or template packages)
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:49:40 GMT
On 12/30/2012 06:32, janI wrote:
> +1, I would add a line saying something:
>
> In no case are such distributions allowed without the written consensus of
> Apache OpenOffice.
>
> That will make it easier to pursue a case, if someone just distributes. I
> would also suggest, we add a link to the distribution guideline, so one can
> claim "I did not know".
>
> Jan I
>
> On 30 December 2012 12:14, Peter Junge <peter.junge@gmx.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> from time to time there are requests to bundle OpenOffice with 3rd party
>> products. A typical case is that a publishing house wants to release a
>> commercial box in which they bundle an original version of Apache
>> OpenOffice with a handbook (either printed or electronic) and some goodies
>> like a pack of templates. As I'm expecting such cases will pop-up
>> frequently (mostly at private@, hence they're not too visible here), it
>> would be good to have some guidelines in place. I have drafted some, please
>> review and comment. The result is intended to be submitted as a proposal
>> here and should go on our website later.
>>
>> Happy New Year
>> Peter
>>
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> === Guidelines for redistributing (an original) Apache OpenOffice with 3rd
>> party bundles ===
>>
>> 1) You must solely use an unmodified binary version of Apache OpenOffice
>> that can be downloaded by anyone from http://www.openoffice.org/**
>> download/index.html <http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html>. If
>> you build your own product from the Apache OpenOffice sources, then you
>> must give your product a different name that must not be confused with
>> Apache OpenOffice. Under certain circumstances, you may then use 'Powered
>> by Apache OpenOffice'. For details, please refer:
>> http://www.apache.org/**foundation/marks/faq/#**poweredby<http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#poweredby>
>>
>> 2) You must always use the proper name 'Apache OpenOffice x[.y[.z]]' (e.g.
>> 3.4.1) for our product. IMPORTANT: Do NOT use 'Apache Open Office' or
>> 'Apache OpenOffice.org' or 'OpenOffice' or 'Open Office' or
>> 'OpenOffice.org' etc.
>>
>> 3) Do not use any additions to 'Apache OpenOffice x.y.z' with the title of
>> your bundle that imply that you are shipping a product which is superior to
>> Apache OpenOffice, e.g. you must not use a title like 'Apache OpenOffice
>> 3.4.1 Professional'. You may rather use the title 'Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1'
>> with a subtitle like '{YOUR_BRAND} Professional Pack' because you have
>> added value to an original Apache OpenOffice.
>>
>> 4) If you want to use the Apache OpenOffice logo on your bundle, you must
>> solely use the original, unmodified Apache OpenOffice logo:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/**
> [...]
It wasn't altogether clear to me that the reference here was to the
trademark, rather than to the code.

Incorporating Jan's suggestion and mine:

" ... granting you the privilege to use 'Apache OpenOffice™' or other
ASF trademarks and logos with your bundle ... a case by case basis. In
no case is such labeling of distributions allowed without the written
consent of the ASF."

/tj/