openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [new bug] Msg text translation problem
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:31:58 GMT
Am 12/21/2012 11:00 PM, schrieb janI:
> For general information, I have added a new bug 121536, regarding problems
> with translations.
>
> The content of the msg text in the source code is non translatable due to
> ambiguity.
>
> [xxx] means normally a variable will be inserted here
> example: "[Time]" may NOT be translated but "[l]" (for load) should be
> translated.
>
> <xxx>  means normally XML and should not be translated:
> example: "<variable id="jan">hello</variable>" may NOT be translated but
> "-p<file>" should be translated.
>
> $xxx means normally a variable will be inserted here
> example: "$id" may NOT be translated but "$100" dollar should be translated.
>
> Now try to explain that to our translators, it is easier to change the
> source texts !
>
> If nobody objects I will solve this bug, alongside with the oracle changes.

What about to write these special variables with "nt" as postfix. Adding
this to the variable name inicates that no translation is wanted or must
not happen at all.

To stick with your example from above it would look like this:

[xxx] translation wanted
[xxx-nt] no translation wanted

<xxx> translation wanted
<xxx-nt> no translation wanted

$xxx translation wanted
$xxx-nt translation wanted

Maybe a possible way around the problem?

Marcus