openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] Recourse for Sites Which Do Not Acknowledge Trademarks
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 23:46:54 GMT
One of the ways that sites that offer downloads of Apache OpenOffice (or OpenOffice.org) often
do is:

(1) Don't acknowledge that the trademarks are the Apache Software Foundation's.

(2) Make use of the project's and ASF's resources to offer free support and other downloads.

They simply hide as legitimate sites. One example is openoffice.us.com.

One thing that we can do to get in the way of this is keep a list of these domains and when
web requests are referred from them we can take users to a warning page where we can explain
the situation, help users get to legitimate resources and let these providers know how to
properly reference trademarks and make their offering distinct from Apache OpenOffice.

Perhaps there is something that can be done with Google to have them downgrade search terms
for OpenOffice for specific URLs.

Regards,
Dave