openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft Blog Post: You Can Help Us Improve OpenOffice by Helping Us Test
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 13:36:31 GMT
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a real nice page.
>
> Have we ever worked together with universities, at least in denmark, the
> engineer and edp education contains quite a few 3weeks slots, where the
> students are encouraged to seek projects outside the university, normally
> in companies.
>
> Things like running QA on a snapshot or writing test cases, would be in
> line with the requirement. The only stopper is, that they would need
> somebody to mentor them, and sign off afterwards (towards the university),
> that is easy with companies, but with ASF I have no idea.

Apache participates as a mentor organization with Google Summer of
Code.  That has volunteer mentors guide students on a summer open
source project.  The mentors provide half-term and final reviews and
ratings for the students.    Doing this for a university program might
be possible, but would depend on the details.  For example, the ASF
has no ability to order or direct volunteer mentors.  So putting the
ASF under any contractual obligation for this might be a problem.  But
agreements between individual mentors and the university might be
fine.  Similar, who vouches for the student's work?  The mentor,
acting as an individual?  Or the ASF?

-Rob