openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <>
Subject Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 20:34:45 GMT
On 11/2/12, Ian Lynch <> wrote:
> On 2 November 2012 08:40, Andrea Pescetti <> wrote:
>> On 01/11/2012 robert_weir wrote:
>>> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM
>>> product
>>> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
>>> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
>>> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But
>>> we
>>> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are
>> Thank you for sharing. They are all good and needed contributions and
>> they
>> cover many of the main results from the Google Moderator user survey.
>> There are still missing things that I've seen requested and that I would
>> personally like to see in the product (a non-exhaustive list would
>> include:
>> better OOXML support, full or enhanced ODF 1.2 support,
> I think the best filters possible are the highest priority. It is difficult
> to use AOO with government documents because mostly they have complex table
> structures for gathering data in docx format. This more than anything will
> prevent take up.

This problem is more on the design and paper paradigm. Having a
digitalization of a paper-form forms, we use tables to design as
opposed as to hold tabular data.

A document design should be done with a DTP program something that
Writer is not the optimal software for it. Frame-based software is the
ideal for design documents.

One simple example is the lack of 'rotate' an image in Writer, while
Draw has it.

Here we have two scenarios:
1) Import such features into writer.
2) Improve the integration of draw and writer. Draw layers could
easily be taken as a "template" for writer to fill in around Draw

> better defaults, better integration with the Extensions and Templates sites
>> or in general better visibility for the additional resources, a refreshed
>> visual identity not only in the interface...), and indeed it will be good
>> to start collecting priorities on the wiki and assess feasibility of the
>> underlying development.
>> And then of course there's the community side: we are now able to engage
>> localization volunteers but there is still work to do to be able to
>> engage
>> unaffiliated developers, so we might take that into consideration when
>> discussing the new features.
>>  releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
>>> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
>>> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
>>> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>> Seems like this would be a good plan. Let's make it real!
> On that timescale we really need to get going if we are to have a
> competition for branding for 4.0.
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.
> --
> Ian
> Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications (The Schools ITQ)
> +44 (0)1827 305940
> The Learning Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth,
> Staffordshire, B79 8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and
> Wales.

Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

View raw message