openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache OO program crashes
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:04:47 GMT
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On 13/11/2012 Painius wrote:
> >>
> >> then I should notify all of you to see if someone
> >> else has the problem and possibly a solution.  His tip did
> >> not keep AOO from crashing, so here goes...
> >

> > Frequent crashes are often due to the first of our Known Issues:
> >
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html#AOO3.4.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 manage the user profile differently
> than
> > previous versions. The old user profile is automatically converted so
> that
> > users can keep their extensions and settings. In a minority of cases,
> > especially with highly customized profiles (many extensions or
> > customizations) the conversion doesn't succeed. Common symptoms are:
> > frequent application crashes, problems with dictionaries or thesaurus,
> > OpenOffice starting and crashing after a few seconds. To solve this, just
> > reset/rename your user profile as explained in the official OpenOffice
> > forum.
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426
> >

> So if this is our #1 issue, is there anything we can do to improve it?
>   Deleting the profile is really a power-user remedy.  It requires
> more OS knowledge than the typical user has, especially on Windows
> where folders like this are hidden by default.
>
> Has anyone tried to figure out exactly what is happening?  Is there
> anyway we can finally fix this in AOO 4.0?   We might not be able to
> migrate every extension, but at least make it so that if something
> cannot be converted we write out some diagnostic info in a text file.
> And if something doesn't convert, we skip it entirely?  IMHO, it is
> better to require a reinstall of an extension than to create an
> unstable profile.
>
> -Rob

This has NOT been an issue with Linux (in my experience), even though
Hagar's response on the forums gives instructions for how to deal with it:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

Do we know what OSes are most affected?

> > Regards,
> >   Andrea.

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
 she wants, rather than to create it herself?”

-- Anais Nin