openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] AOO.next = AOO 4.0
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:24:47 GMT
Am 11/22/2012 05:36 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

>> indeed very close and I will be offline for some further days next week.
>> I count at least 3 languages Danish, Polish, Scots Gaelic. And when we
>> increase the deadline until the end of the year we potentially get even
>> more.

>>> If I have understood it correct, only new full install and langpacks
>>> files will be distributed - or maybe only langpack files.
>>
>> both would be possible, I ma flexible here. For using the same download
>> mechanism and no further special handling it would be helpful to have
>> the same files as for all other langs.
>>

>>> I don't think that it's needed to replace files except for the source
>>> files.
>>
>> Exactly, we would release the new languages only on base of 3.4.1 and a
>> new src release. When we do a further 3.4.2 release we can build the new
>> languages in the same way as the others.
>
> I think that we will need a new source release - we could call the source release "3.4.1b".

We have already 3 digits for the version number. I don't think we should
add letters for another position. ;-)

When we release new languages I think it's worth enough to name it 3.4.2.

Marcus

> It would give us good practice at voting on a release based on simple IP scans with RAT
and svn diff to prove that the only changes are language files. We trust, but we must verify.

> I don't have any strong opinions regarding whether we hurry for a 3.5 or develop a feature
rich and well tested 4.0. Once we reach consensus on this issue we should have Marketing publish
the plan so the user base will know what to expect with an estimated timeline - emphasis on
estimated.