openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] AOO.next = AOO 4.0
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:34:37 GMT
Am 11/21/2012 01:07 PM, schrieb J├╝rgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I would like to volunteer again as release manager for our
> next release if it's ok for our community.

Sure, I would support this.

> Second I would like to define with you what our next release will be.
> After various discussion and activities on the mailing list and also at
> the ApacheCon, I got the impression that the majority would support a
> 4.0 version as our next release.
>
> We are planning some bigger UI changes for the next release (sidebar)
> and such UI changes are always a good indicator for a new major release
> to signal our users bigger changers. I know Ariel has also some
> incompatible changes regarding add-ons in the pipeline that would also
> fit in a major release.
>
> I noticed some discussion around a new visual design and a bigger
> rebranding and this is a further reason for a major release.
>
> I think it is time to define this more concrete and focus in more detail
> on the work that is needed and required to bring a good and stable
> release on the road. Our goal should be to continue the success of 3.4
> and 3.4.1.
>
> If nobody will complain I will start to merge the started 3.5 and 4.0
> planning into one combined planning later. I believe it is important
> that we concentrate on our next release. If you think a rebranding is
> important and you want to drive it, please start immediately. If you
> want to bring in some new features, please communicate it on the list
> and start working on it. Let us work on the plan for the next release in
> an open and transparent way.

A new major release like 4.0 is indeed the best sign we can send out
into the world; especially after our graduation. If we would do it in
the beginning of 2013, then even better.

However, I also think we don't have enough time for developing all the
features *and* testing them deeply.

So, IMHO it depends on what you had in mind with regard to the date for
a 4.0? I see the problems others have mentioned already but I don't want
to reject you plan in general without an answer for the question. ;-)

Maybe doing the release together with a bigger event like CeBIT (March
5-9) is feasible?

> Besides the next major release we should also continue the discussion on
> further language packs based on 3.4.1 to make the latest translations
> available as soon as possible.

Yes, that seems to be a good alternative compared to make a complete new
release "just" for new languages.

> One way to make these language packs available would be to integrate the
> new translations on the AOO34 branch, build the language packs and a new
> source release based on this revision. The effort should be minimal as
> long as we don't integrate bugfixes.
>
> On the other hand a release is of course a lot of work and we can focus
> on releasing these new languages together with 4.0. The question is if
> we do have the resources for releasing the new languages?

What do you mean with resources? Testing that these languages are shown
correct in AOO? Or also other efforts?

> Any opinions or feedback?

My 2 ct.

Marcus