openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we want download links for Dev Builds on a usual webpage?
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:18:18 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Question:  the bugs that we're seeing related to profile
> conversion/upgrading, is that something that would only have been
> caught when testing with system integration enabled?

Yes and no. The differences between with/without system integration are:
- Installing the snapshot will not remove an installed stable version
- Installing the snapshot will not take over file associations
- The profile folder (for user settings) is different

Everything else is unaffected by the build type.

If you test with system integration and you have 3.3 installed you might
indeed detect the problem. But a 3.3 version that you allow to be
replaced by a snapshot build is probably something you haven't take care
of customizing in detail (and testing it in a virtual machine seems
rather artificial; indeed, as Oliver wrote, so far we didn't manage to
reproduce this problem in tests).

> Real testers today are using virtual machines.  So the install
> side-by-side problem is not a real problem.

Real users are using real machines. And, as explained above, this is
quite hard to reproduce in a virtual environment (not because it is
virtual, but because it's hard to have a test installation tweaked and
customized the same way as a real installation used every day). Of
course, if our profile upgrade function made a backup of the profile
before upgrading, we could ask people to send us the backup when the
upgrade fails (but it would take unnecessary disk space, especially for
installations shared by multiple users, and so on...).

Regards,
   Andrea.