openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Fernand Vanrie <...@pmgroup.be>
Subject Re: desktop publishing
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:34:33 GMT
Alexandro ,

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Phillip Zadro
> <ricaza1915@hotmail.com.au>wrote:
>

>> hi Is there any likelihood that OpenOffice will one day include a desktop
>> publisher? There is only one thing that is stopping me from migrating
>> completely from Microsoft Office to either OpenOffice or LibreOffice and it
>> is their lack of a Desktop Publisher comparable with MS Publisher. I have
>> used Publisher for over 15 years and love its practicality, particularly
>> with paginating of booklets. Even a separate program like Serif PagePlus
>> cannot save in MS format either, so I am obliged to stay with MS Office.
>> Pity.. Thanks Phil
>
> Draw is a perfect Desktop publisher, is so perfect is compatible with other
We uses exclusifly Writer (+ lot of basic macro's) to make over 8.000
full color magazine pages par year. This pages are all i2 languages
versions, with cutouts (we uses Edit Contour) transparancies etc...)
Our Editors places lowres images "embedded" in there documents, a final
macro checks the resolution quality and changes the lowres with the
highres (stored on a server) just before exporting to PDF
Sinds there is SVG, we no longer use EPS and "Adobe" to make our PDF's.
PostScript is dead anyhow (lack of transparency)  the LO/OO- PDF export
is with use off a Lanczos filter nearly perfect.
We only needs a "payed" Color Server to transfer our RGB PDF's to CMYK
Our magazines are printed by different print houses (15.000-3.000 exp.)
on high quality paper, there are no complaints from our printers and the
readers can not sea the difference between our Magazines an thus maded
by payed DTP applications
Just a pitty thats SVG is still exported as bitmap (sould been repaired
in 3.7) and PDF is still not a accepted as a  graphic format like we can
use (Tiff, jpg,  etc...)

Greetz

Fernand