openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Initiate a Contest for Branding of 4.0
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 14:31:42 GMT
On 10/26/2012 4:36 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
> The proposal therefore is to initiate a contest to create this new
> branding, this would have multiple benefits in terms of community outreach,
> marketing and raising brand awareness.

Several Apache projects have run logo contests in the past; some were
quite successful both with wide participation and good designs to come
out of them.  As noted in many of the comments on this thread, there are
a lot of details to work out, especially if the PMC is looking for a
whole "branding" package of logos, icons, colors, etc.

- Be clear in your request for submissions.  Spend the time to go over
the whole package you plan to put out, since it will get a lot of
interest.  Having a good experience for submitters with clear guidelines
on what parts of branding are being sought, and if designs are expected
to be used as-is, or if designs may be modified once selected is important.

- I'd suggest having a preliminary voting round (primarily community
based), and then a separate runoff round from the top X voted designs
(primarily committer based, with the PMC making final decision).  With a
large number of original submissions, it's really hard to get a good
sense of support for each one.  Runoffs from the top designs are much
simpler, plus the PMC can use the runoff selection process to promote or
restrict designs the PMC has specific thoughts on.

The various points on this thread about the community here on ooo-dev@
versus the actual end-user community are spot on as well.  Re-branding a
product with this many millions of end users is important to do
carefully and consistently.

- From the legal standpoint, we will likely need the winning designer to
donate all trademark rights in the design(s) to the ASF explicitly.
Given that we may register new trademarks about AOO, we will need to be
clear on this point.  But the details can be handled later, and should
not be difficult, so don't let that get in the way of running the contest!

- Shane