openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 08:40:45 GMT
On 01/11/2012 robert_weir wrote:
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are

Thank you for sharing. They are all good and needed contributions and
they cover many of the main results from the Google Moderator user survey.

There are still missing things that I've seen requested and that I would
personally like to see in the product (a non-exhaustive list would
include: better OOXML support, full or enhanced ODF 1.2 support, better
defaults, better integration with the Extensions and Templates sites or
in general better visibility for the additional resources, a refreshed
visual identity not only in the interface...), and indeed it will be
good to start collecting priorities on the wiki and assess feasibility
of the underlying development.

And then of course there's the community side: we are now able to engage
localization volunteers but there is still work to do to be able to
engage unaffiliated developers, so we might take that into consideration
when discussing the new features.

> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.

Seems like this would be a good plan. Let's make it real!

Regards,
   Andrea.