openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: extensions and translations.
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:45:52 GMT
jan iversen wrote:
> On 1 November 2012 22:21, Rob Weir wrote:
>> 2) An extension that is developed and released by the project, and
>> published in the extension repository.
> This is the current standard and should not be changed. the add on is
> optional

Indeed.

> and not to forget, the possibility of getting the UI translated and
> available all over the world.

In general this discussion is probably making too many assumptions on
the extensions authors. Those who wanted translatable extensions had a
sort of framework to put string in PO files (which I never used and
which I remember very vaguely, but it only worked for StarBasic); and as
far as I know it was very rarely used. In general, remember that an
extension can be written in any language, including no language (there
is plenty of non-code extensions
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Non-code_extensions ); so extracting
strings or enforcing coherence will work optimally only for extensions
that are developed by the project.

> Can we collect statistics about which extensions is installed how often ?

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/most_popular
The "timeline" gives you all details.

Regards,
   Andrea.