openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: extensions and translations.
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 07:52:32 GMT
On 11/1/12 12:39 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 10/27/2012 01:17 AM, schrieb jan iversen:
>> I see, I have to get used to this license issues (a long time ago I
>> believed open source was just open source, then I joined an apache
>> project).
>>
>> never mind.
>>
>> Would it be to our advantage if we offered third party developers
>> (that is
>> how I see extension developers) the possibility to register a language
>> file
>> and get it translated as part of the language packs ?
>
> Of course it would be to our advantage; or let's say for the project and
> software. A lot of extensions would be available in many languages.
>
> However, I don't know where we should draw the line to set a limit. When
> we select here and there some extensions, then the other developers will
> ask why not their extensions.

It's quite simple I would say, if people want develop extensions under
ALv2 and want to contribute the code to the project. We can easy create
a special section in our repo where we can host them.

But this means they have to be handled in the same way as all other
stuff here. Means a new release have to be voted...

> And IMHO it's not possible to translate all strings for all extensions.
>
> But maybe others here have a great idea?

we can't probably provide it and I think we have to do enough ;-). But I
can think of an alternative service hosted somewhere else.

Juergen