openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]What is the criteria for 3.4.1 release blocker?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 05:48:49 GMT
On 6/21/12 5:51 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I think safety is of high value.
>
> That includes security issues and also data loss/corruption.  The last includes crashers
that result in unrecoverable loss of work.  Hidden loss of work and document corruption that
does not appear until the document is opened later is particularly serious.

We used in general the following criteria (details where we are more
less based on can be foud under [2])

- crashes (including data loss/corruption)
- security fixes
- regressions

I would also include
- memory leaks
when a fix is available and it is well tested that nothing else breaks

- maintenance issues (like updating reference type library, version
strings, images, ...)

A micro release like 3.4.1 is only for fixing serious problems and not
to introduce new features. Excepting new translations.

Minor releases, eg. 3.5, can include any kind of fix, features and
improvements. Bigger UI changes should be discussed and probably better
included in a major release.

See also [1] and especially [2]

We should update these pages on demand to reflect our guideline how we
want handle this in the future. A common understanding is of course
important here.

Juergen

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Release_criteria
[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Stopper