openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] redirection of update services to www.openoffice.org
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 06:35:17 GMT
Hi,

On 28.03.2012 18:43, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Well I wouldn't say it like that Kay. The problem
> with any update service is the sheer number of clients
> out there configured to abuse it.  There are a number
> of options available, but most of them revolve around
> providing an Apache C module to at least cut down on
> the redundant traffic before showing it to your script.
>
> Is it actually a cgi script at this point that you
> are trying to service the traffic with, or just a static
> file?  Right now our webserver is configured to disallow
> any attempts to POST data to us, so none of yesterday's
> traffic was handled by any of your work in this regard-
> it was all interrupted by the server with a "Method Not
> Allowed" 4xx response.
>
> I'd be willing to try experimenting again if in fact
> you are trying to service that traffic with a static
> file that naturally ignores POST data instead of with a
> cgi script.  The point is to figure out how to see if
>
> those misconfigured clients will back-off if given
> an expected response.

I am not sure about which clients you are talking about.
If former OpenOffice.org instances are meant I can share here what I have
learned during the integration of serf as the new HTTP/WebDAV client library in AOO:
When OOo wants to load a resource (file or folder) via HTTP/HTTPS it sends a
PROPFIND request in order to find out, if the corresponding server "talks"
WebDAV. May be the request is sent several times in order to workaround an
unreliable network. A HEAD request might follow. Then OOo sends the GET request
(in case of a file) to load it.
These HTTP requests should be observed on the server providing the update
service when OOo automatically or the user manually triggers a "check for updates".

Best regards, Oliver.