openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:28:08 GMT
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/2 Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com>
>
>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Andy Brown <andy@the-martin-byrd.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>

>> I poked around and found this page:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
>>
>> This lists some additional roles (with counts)
>>
>> Administrators (26)
>> Bureaucrats (4)
>> Editors (20)
>> Reviewers (5)
>>
>> Those are in addition to 35,020 User accounts.
>>
>> Curiously, it reports only 5 of the 35,020 users as having been active
>> in the past 7 days.
>>

> did you poked around 1 year ago as well?
> do you have an explanation, why these numbers are slowing down?
>
> with the statistic above you don't increase the credibility ...
>
> or
>
> http://www.statistik.baden-wuerttemberg.de/Veroeffentl/Monatshefte/essay.asp?xYear=2004&xMonth=11&eNr=11

One of the biggest mistakes I made when I moved into my house was to
design in my back yard a huge garden.  It took a weeks of labor to get
it started.  But I never had time to maintain it.  I created a garden
far too large for my small "community" (my wife and I) to handle.  We
fought back the weeds, but the weeds won in the end.  I would have
been better off with house plants, in pots.  More sheltered.  But also
easier to take care of.

With the wiki, if we really want to allow anyone to have write access
to it, then we really need to be committed to fight the weeds, which
in the case of wikis would be spam, low quality content, edit wars,
etc.  If we can re-establish the community participation level the way
it was a year ago, then great.  It would have a chance of success.
But right now I see almost no activity on the wiki.  35,000 user
accounts, but no users.  If this doesn't change, the weeds will surely
win.