openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:16:30 GMT

On 08/31/2011 09:01 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
>> We're blessed to have experienced OOo hackers on the list who have
>> already jumped on the new code repository and started making
>> improvements.
>>
>> But I see we have 214 people subscribed to the mailing list, including
>> many who were not previously working on OOo code.  This is great.
>> Growing the community to bring in new developers is key to the success
>> of the project.
>>
>> Do any of you want to get an AOOo dev environment set up, so you can
>> build OpenOffice?  If so, please respond to this note, and state what
>> operating system you are interested in building on.
>>
>> Based on this information, we can have a discussion on how best to get
>> you up to speed, whether via Q&A on this list, via IRC chat, a phone
>> conference or maybe even a virtual machine image.
>>

> A lot of good feedback on this idea.  Thanks!
>
>  From the responses I've read, it sounds like the most popular choice
> is Linux.  So let's start there.
>
> Could we start on Wed September 7th?  And run this "event" through the weekend?

sounds good...I will work on this as well.

Is everything on this page

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html

including the Building Guide at --
http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide

still current?

> Goals would be:
>
> 1) Enable volunteers who want to build under Linux
>
> 2) Create build instructions that are under ALv2, so we can include
> them in the release.  This is a good thing to draft on the "dev" wiki.
>
> I'd like to do a put a post in the AOOo blog on this, to maybe attract
> some additional developers who may want to participate
>
> In the blog post I'd put the link to the SVN tree, the IRC channel,
> and the pre-reqs.
>
> BTW, what should say the pre-reqs are for storage?  Source, including
> /main and /extras is around 4GB.  Matthias suggested 70 GB for
> building, which could be done on fast external storage.  So 75 GB free
> space total is reasonable?
>
> Do we have any RAM guidance?  is 1GB sufficient?  2 GB?
>
> -Rob
>

>> -Rob

MzK

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and
  on which it is impossible to be silent."
                             -- Victor Hugo