openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] RE: SVN and bringing the total end-to-end OOo project under Configuration Management
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:49:44 GMT
Hi Rob

Am 30.08.11 20:52, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Raphael Bircher<r.bircher@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>> Hi Rob
>>
>> So you want to split the community into a official apache and a inofficial
>> extendet community? That will happend if you will fellow strictly the apache
>> way. Then we will have the Development here and the rest outthere. If this
>> is good or bad, I don't know. But if it's like that, we should start to
>> organize te inofficial Community.
>>
> Are there some aspects of the Apache Way that the OOo community does not like?
>
>      * collaborative software development
>
>      * commercial-friendly standard license
>
>      * consistently high quality software
>
>      * respectful, honest, technical-based interaction
>
>      * faithful implementation of standards
>
>      * security as a mandatory feature [1]
>
> I'd be interested in hearing why these aspects of the Apache Way are
> unacceptable.  Maybe it would help if you explained what you think are
> the core beliefs of the OOo community and where they are in conflict
> with the above.
Not the points above but the flowing

* That it's strange to organize Events under Apache

* The Apache fundrising politic

* The fact that Apache has no concept what to do with people outside
developing.

* The fact that only no permisive Lisence are alowed

* The fact that we have to rewrite all the documentation including
translation cause Lisence Issues

* The Fact that is nearly impossible to get a Native language List.

It does not mean that we have a complete split. But same kind of
activity has simply no place unter apache, or are so hard to integrate
that no one will do it. So it's much better to do it outside, as to skip
it or do nothing.

Greetings Raphael