openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 22:25:52 GMT
Hi David,

On Tuesday, 2011-08-30 21:46:53 +0100, David McKay wrote:

> If someone could create a working Dev environment in Linux in a
> VirtualBox image (say) that would be a great and fast way to get
> people started.

The problem with a VB image is that it is quite large to download, gets
quickly outdated and needs to be maintained. OOo tried that once, see
http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Prepared_Build_Images
There wasn't much feedback, I think it simply wasn't used much.

It's more fun to shrink a Windows partition and install a decent
GNU/Linux distribution ;-)  Then, depending on distro, one of

apt-get build-dep openoffice.org
apt-get build-dep libreoffice

or what the distro offers as build dependencies with its package
manager.

Then clone the repo and follow
http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux

  Eike