openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:29:50 GMT
Hi Marcus,

On Tuesday, 2011-08-23 11:11:35 +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> And very often they write to the list but aren't subscribed. So they
> don't get the answer unless someone is CC'ing them.

That actually is a failure of how the list is setup when it has Reply-To
pointing to the mailing list address (AKA Reply-To mangling). Without
Reply-To a Reply-All goes to the sender and the mailing list.

> In a forum all in one place. You can search, write and can get
> answers. It's up to us if a subscription is needed. It would work
> without.
>
> Furthermore, I don't think that mailing lists are common for the
> average user. But forums are.

Mailing lists are much more accepted by those who actually help because
handling is much easier than any web forum. You can setup your own
scoring, flags, delete unimportant stuff in your personal archive and so
on. To get the best of both worlds best would be a forum gated to
a mailing list and vice versa. Searching the mailing list would also be
possible at mail-archive.com, or gmane..

> >What if we just had support forums, but no users list?  Would we miss
> >anything?  Would users?  Note that phpBB forums allow a person to
> >subscribe to a forum or a topic, so those who want to receive emails
> >can.  But they would need to go back to the forum website to respond.

And that just sucks.

> I don't think that we or the users would miss anything because there
> is no chance to miss something as the communitation method is not
> existing.

Well, I try to avoid forums whenever possible.

  Eike