opennlp-users mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: prerequisites for forking openNLP?
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:41:18 GMT
On 04/16/2012 03:02 PM, Jim - FooBar(); wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone please shine some light  as to what needs to be done in
> order for someone to fork openNLP?It is an open-source project so
> presumably  not much...I work at the national centre for text-mining
> (NaCTem UK) and I'm very keen on forking openNLP and more specifically
> the namefind package which is very important for what i'm currently
> working on. I also know many people that would benefit from having my
> proposed changes (OPENNLP-496) in both the "finding aspect" & the
> "evaluation aspect" of NER. Obviously, you don't like what I'm
> proposing (fair enough...even though it makes perfect sense) so I
> think it's best if I stop pestering you and just create my own fork
> and repository to pull my dependencies from...So my question is: what
> do I need to do before i upload my fork on the Manchester University
> or NaCTeM web-site, apart the obvious (having mentions & links to
> original openNLP)?

Well, all you need to do is to respect the Apache License 2.0.
All our code is licensed under AL 2.0, there are no exceptions.

You can find a copy here:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

Here is an article about forking AL licensed software:
http://www.g-loaded.eu/2011/03/01/forking-apache-licensed-software-on-github-and-bitbucket/

You did not get any negative feedback on OPENNLP-496,
the reason you did not get more feedback is simply that it was proposed
on a Friday
and no one looked at it over the weekend.

Jörn