opennlp-users mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NLP Instantiation Help!
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:06:04 GMT
On 7/25/11 11:07 PM, mark meiklejohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm coming from 1.3.1 to 1.5.1, now I can get 1.5.1 up and running
> fine with the examples. However, there are some features missing and
> I'm wondering how I can go about incorporating/instantiating them.
> Typically, I used the TreebankParser as it gives me nice structure to
> traverse, but that seems to have gone AWOL or has been replaced by the
> POSModels.

Do you need to parse a sentence, or do you only want to do
part-of-speech tagging? If you only do pos tagging you should
only use the pos tagger, because it is much faster.

> First off I'm looking to use the 'tagdict' that was with 1.3.1 & case
> insensitive mode. The reason being is that I have no control over the
> input that I will be processing.
>
> So it could be entirely possible that information I receive could be
> all in capitals i.e. "I NEED OPENNLP TO BE ABLE TO PROCESS IN CASE
> INSENSITIVE MODE" now in this case 1.5.1 typically returns the
> majority of these as NNPs as would 1.3.1, which is no good, but since
> 1.3.1 would process in case insensitive it give me a better parse
> structure for it.
>
> Now I can't just reduce everything to lower case as it comes through
> as this may have knock-on effects. So is there away to achieve what I
> want to achieve??
>
> If someone knows how to go about instantiating what I'm looking for an
> example would be greatly appreciated

Just had a look at the code. Looks like the case sensitive flag doesn't
work correctly with the pos dictionary we currently have.
It is not possible to set it to false.

Do you want to open a jira?

It should be fixed for 1.5.2, which will be released soon.

Jörn