opennlp-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "James Kosin (Commented) (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (OPENNLP-471) DictionaryNameFinder has HASHing issues
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2012 02:24:38 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-471?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13231808#comment-13231808
] 

James Kosin commented on OPENNLP-471:
-------------------------------------

I've added code to expand the dictionary search as long as the buid token list is smaller
than the dictionary max value.
This is done by adding 2 integer values to the Dictionary class to hold the longest and shortest
token counts added to the dictionary.  We currently use the max count; but, theoretically
it can be easily expanded to use the min as well to prevent us from looking for shorter dictionary
entries when we have none.

The added code to the find() shouldn't turn the search into an N^2 problem; but, should fix
the issue of finding dictionary elements that are longer that have no shorter counterparts
in the dictionary.

NOTE: I went with my last comments above as a solution; because it currently makes the most
sence.  If anyone has a better idea we can certainly entertain it in this JIRA.

Another possible option would be to bring back the Index.... but, we would have to make the
StringList export the case sensitivity somehow to the Index so it can work correctly.

I can work on that as another option; since the Index allowed us to keep adding tokens as
long as the tokens where in the Index.  The problem was that case sensitivity issues need
to be worked out there.

                
> DictionaryNameFinder has HASHing issues
> ---------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: OPENNLP-471
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-471
>             Project: OpenNLP
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Name Finder
>            Reporter: James Kosin
>              Labels: dictionary, namefinder
>
> The DictionaryNameFinder has issues finding multi-token names when the dictionary is
searched a token at a time by the find() method.  If, the dictionary doesn't have a single
(or shorter) token match available in the dictionary.
> Having a dictionary with {"folic", "acid"} without an entry for {"folic"} will cause
the find() method to totally skip the fact there is a longer match possible.
> Thanks to Jim for pushing this and to my debugging skills to find.
> Two possiblilites come to mind:
> 1)  I don't really like, is we turn it into a larger problem by trying longer matches
when shorter ones don't match.  Unfortunately, this turns quickly into a race to see who can
wait longer.
> 2)  A way of returning a possible match that may need exploring, or a look-ahead type
system to say we don't match "folic" but if you have "acid" after "folic" we have a match
for that in the dictionary.
> 3)  Leave it as is and modify the dictionary to add shorter terms to the dictionary...
maybe marking as not-a-valid entry so we can know we need a longer match.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message