opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Russ <danrus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Early stopping NameFinderME
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 23:07:03 GMT
Jörn,

   Currently, GISTrainer has a private static final variable LLThreshold, which controls if
the change in the log likelihood between two iterations is too small.  We could make this
parameter. I am concerned about using the accuracy to train the model.  If we use accuracy,
the weight space may be flat.

   Saurabh, you use the term “early stopping”.  In deep learning, early stopping is used
to prevent overtraining and improve generalization to unseen data.  I am not sure early stopping
serves the same purpose with GIS training.  Does anyone know if early stopping improves generalization
for a maxent problem?

Daniel