opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Thread-safe versions of some of the tools
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:38:05 GMT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that approach only works if you control the
thread creation yourself. In my case, for example, I was using Scala's
parallel collection API, and had no control over the threading. I will
usually want to create one service that does tokenization or POS tagging
or whatever, which can be accessed by many threads. I don't want to have
to mess around with an object pool, or thread locals, or anything like
that. Especially since there is really no good reason IMHO. You could
very easily just return the probabilities together with the spans, and
whoever doesn't need them can ignore them. Or have two methods, one with
probabilities, one without. Maybe it's just where I'm coming from, but I
fail to see the advantages of the current approach.

--Thilo