opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting rid of stdout output in maxent data indexer classes
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 09:20:12 GMT
On 02/07/2014 05:59 AM, Mike (Code) Burroughs wrote:
> The AbstractDataIndexer, OnePassDataIndexer, and TwoPassDataIndexer classes
> have hardcoded output to stdout.  The GIS implementation at least has a
> static flag to control this output but there is no way to turn off the
> output from the indexers.
>
> I have commented this out for now and run with a local jar and plan to
> convert this to SLF4J output so that I have the same control over it that I
> have over all other debug/info type messages.  Is this something that would
> be useful to see pushed back into the general distribution?
>
> One other question, while the 1.5.3 source distribution has the maxent
> package, I don't see the package anywhere under trunk in the svn repo.
>   Where would I find this code in svn?

Hello,

yes that is right the machine learners just print this to the stdout.
It would probably be good to always capture the output and store it next
to the statistical
model in our zip package. The log will usually have only a few kb.

I thought about creating some kind of API to capture the output and
reporting the progress back
to the user.

Here is the jira describing it:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-124

The maxent package was integrated into opennlp-tools, and is now located
in the opennlp.tools.ml package.

OpenNLP now also supports pluggable machine learning support, which
probably makes it a bit harder to find a good
solution.

Jörn