opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Move to Java 7
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:35:07 GMT
We are on Java5 currently, that makes the build for a release more and
more inconvenient because you have to install
a Java5 VM to get it done.

No, other than this there are no strong reasons as far as I am aware of
to move forward to Java 6 or Java 7, both versions don't offer
any new exciting features which improve the user experience of OpenNLP.
Though it is nice to use the new API in Java 6/7 here and there.

OpenNLP 1.6.0 will break backward compatibility in some ways, e.g.
through the refactoring of the machine learning code, but
this will only affect users who sub-classed a component or copied over code.

Should we reconsider the update, and wait a bit longer? Would it make
sense to move forward to Java 6?

Jörn