opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposal to move CLI tools into separate jar
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:37:42 GMT
On 12/2/11 6:20 AM, Jason Baldridge wrote:
> I've only very quicky read through this, and don't have a strong opinion on
> whether to keep CLI as is or move it out. However, one interesting
> possibility with moving it out would be that we could provide interfaces to
> other packages, e.g. Stanford tools, Lingpipe, Mallet, etc, for performance
> comparisons. That would be useful for our purposes, and would be a useful
> capability for others (especially in research), and it is something we
> wouldn't want to have as part of the core library (obviously).

If you do that you get dependencies on all these tools. Some of the
mentioned
tools are not compatible with Apache license handling which makes it
impossible
for us to distribute them.

Anyway it is a nice idea and I believe if you do that you should make one
small sub-project per project. If necessary you can place them at an
external
code hosting site.

For this we need a good plugin strategy for our CLI tools, so that
people can
easily add their own tools.

Jörn