opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Galitsky <bgalit...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: to map trees to logical forms
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:05:40 GMT

Yes, I will be working on these items.I will have to do
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt (if you work on the
> code during your day job)
with zvents.com

Boris

> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:02:07 +0200
> From: kottmann@gmail.com
> To: opennlp-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: to map trees to logical forms
>
> Hello,
>
> thanks for that.
>
> Should we proceed with the contribution?
>
> The next steps are roughly as follows:
> - Create a jira issue for the contribution, and attach the source code to it
> - Do a vote to accept it on the dev list
> - Do IP clearance
>
> IP clearance will most likely include signing these papers:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt (if you work on the
> code during your day job)
>
> After we are through these steps we can import the code into our
> subversion repository.
>
> Jörn
>
> On 8/15/11 8:39 PM, Boris Galitsky wrote:
> > Hi Jason and Jörn
> >
> > I will briefly comment on how our approach is different from the authors below:http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~ai-lab/downloadPublication.php?filename=http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/ml/papers/kim.coling10.pdf&citation=In+%3Ci%3EProceedings+of+the+23rd+International+Conference+on+Computational+Linguistics+%28COLING+2010%29%3C%2Fi%3E%2C+543--551%2C+Beijing%2C+China%2C+August+2010.Sure,
having something that maps trees to logical forms would be useful.

> > Boris, I would recommend you look at papers in Ray Mooney's group on
> > semantic parsing:
> >
> > http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~ml/publications/area/77/learning_for_semantic_parsing
> >> "The authors align naturallanguage sentences to their correct meaning representations
given the ambiguous supervision
> > provided by a grounded language acquisition scenario".This approach takes a vertical
domain, applies statistical learning and learns to find a better meaning representation, taking
into account, in particular, parsing information. Mooney's et al approach cant directly map
a syntactic tree structure into a logic form 'structure', at least it does not intend to do
so.
> > If a vertical domain changes, one have to re-train. It is adequate for a robocap
competition but not really for an industrial app in a horizontal domain, in my opinion.
> > What we are describing/proposing does not go as high semantically as Mooney et al,
but it is domain - independent and is directly (in a structured, not statistical) way linked
to syntactic parse tree, so a user does not have to worry about re-training. After training,
if we have a fixed set of meaning (meaning representations in Mooneys' terms), his system
would give a higher accuracy than ours, but his settings are not really plausible for industrial
cases like search relevance and text relevance in a broader domain. What we observed is that
overlap of syntactic tree, properly transformed, is usually good enough to accept/reject relevance
> >> In particular, Ruifang Ge (who is now at Facebook) did phrase structure to
> >> logical form learning:
> > http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~ai-lab/pub-view.php?PubID=126959
> >
> > I definitely enjoyed  reading the phd thesis, nice survey part! Earlier work of
Mooney at al used Inductive Logic Programming to learn commonalities between syntactic structure.
Our approach kind of takes it to extreme: syntactic parse trees are considered a special case
of logic formulas and Inductive Logic Programming 's anti-unification is defined DIRECTLY
on syntactic parse trees.I am more skeptical about universality of 'semantic grammar' unless
we focus on a given text classification domain. So my understanding is lets not go too far
up in semantic representation unless the classification domain is fixed, there is no such
thing as most accurate semantic representation for everything (unless we are in a so restricted
domain as specific database querying). So I can see  "Meaning Representation Language Grammar"
as a different component of openNLP, but it is hard for me to see how a search engineer (not
a linguist) can just plug it in and leverage it in an industrial application.