opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributing our statistical models
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:29:08 GMT
The models are pretty large, I hope Maven will be fine with it.  Also, we better make sure
we have the download settings right.  I'd hate to see the usual Maven overzealousness about
downloading all the time if someone does a clean and deletes the models.

Also, we could host things somewhere else, such as an Apache Extras project.  That way you
could offer academic use only models there, while the normal models are ASF hosted.

On Jan 31, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:

> On 1/25/11 9:56 PM, Jason Baldridge wrote:
>> That sounds good. Also, I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but it would
>> be nice to have a single download per language, in addition to individual
>> models.
>>
>> What do we do for models trained on corpora that are restricted? Can we
>> distribute some models with, e.g., an academic-use-only license?
>
> +1 for making distributions per language. The language pack can just contain
> the NOTICE and LICENSE files.
>
> I believe the model itself cannot be restricted since we are not violating their
> copyright. We have to find out. No, we can only distribute things which are licensed
> as AL or compatible.
> Academic-use-only models do not fall under this and cannot be distributed.
>
> Jörn

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com