opennlp-dev mailing list archives

From Miao Chen <viv...@gmail.com>
Subject Asking a question about sentence detector probability
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:34:52 GMT
Hello,

I asked this question on the user list yesterday (haven't gotten response
yet) and want to try if I can get help on this list. Thank you in advance!

I am working on a NLP project and using OpenNLP for preprocessing. When
using OpenNLP sentence detector to get sentences out of text, we'd like to
get some confidence score of the detected sentences, namely the probability
of an identified sentence being a real sentence. I found from the API there
is a method called getSentenceProbabilities() in the SentenceDetectorME
class, which seems to provide the sentence probability I need. However I got
a problem when using this method and I will illustrate using an example. My
input text for sentence detector is:
"2.1.4 About JAVA package"

The sentence detector returns me two sentences: "2.1.4" and "About JAVA
package" (which I can accept :)
But the getSentenceProbabilities() returns me only one probability (which is
0.9924560093213692), and I don't know which "sentence" this probability is
for. This method is supposed to return an array of probabilities, but in
this case only one probability is returned.

Can anyone tell me how to explain this or how to get probabilities of the
identified sentences? I'd really appreciate any of your help. Thank you so
much!

Best,
Miao

--