openmeetings-user mailing list archives

From "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why don't calendar events expire?
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2013 01:32:34 GMT
Not really.
The files in the /streams/hibernate folder are the final videos of the
recordings. If you delete them all your recordings are gone.

The files in the /streams/$ROOM_ID folders are the raw recording files.
Based on those files there is a complete video mixed (that is then produced
into the /streams/hibernate folder).
Theoretically you can delete the files in the /streams/$ROOM_ID folder as
the final mixed video is already produced.
However for recordings based on the interview room type, there is a
functionality to re-render the raw data but with some parameters to adjust
the audio (make it loader, delay the audio, et cetera). Those are useful if
you want to post-edit the video from inside OpenMeetings because for
instance one participant has a microphone that is a lot loader then some
other participant. Once the video is "mixed" into the final format there
would be no way of re-adjusting those settings. So there is some button in
the OpenMeetings UI to re-render the raw files with some additional
settings.
If you delete the files in the /streams/$ROOM_ID folders bascially the UI
functionality is pointing to files that do no more exist.
Also there are entries in the database that point to the files in the
/streams/$ROOM_ID directory. So in general, it would be basically a bad
idea to just delete those folders, UI functionality might be broken and the
data model would be inconsistent.

Sebastian

2013/8/25 Lee Saunders <leesenglishlessons@gmail.com>

> Is it safe for me to delete the sub-folders in the streams directory?
>

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Lee Saunders <
> leesenglishlessons@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the technical information.
>> I'm just going my my experience using another system in which each
>> meeting was tied only to the originator and could remain open over any
>> number of sessions, and then closed when complete. Once complete a PDF of
>> the whiteboard and accompanying documentation was created as a soft copy
>> for download, stored in the users account. So, even though the meeting had
>> been closed, a downloadable representation of the meeting was available in
>> an archive. I do see how Open Minutes works differently, though.
>>
>> All in all, Open Meetings is a great service. Thank you for creating it.
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 1:27 AM, seba.wagner@gmail.com <
>> seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We actually never physically delete anything, we just mark/flag as
>>> deleted and don't show it in the UI anymore.
>>>
>>> There are multiple reasons why you do that in software. For instance
>>> there are are often foreign key constraints. That means that you can't
>>> physically delete an user, cause this userId is a foreign key in some other
>>> tables. And by deleting the user physically you would get an inconsistance
>>> data model.
>>> This will become a real issue when you work with databases that have
>>> "real" foreign keys (postgres, oracle, MySQL InnoDB, et cetera). However
>>> even with data on disk in files, just because you "can" delete those files
>>> without throwing any error does not mean that this is a good idea, as for
>>> example records in the database still point to that file. By doing that the
>>> data model simply becomes inconsistent. Some references are missing, it
>>> pretty much gets a mess if you start to delete files.
>>>
>>> Another reason is that you want to keep track on changes that have
>>> happened. This is sometimes a legal requirement in companies and
>>> government. You just never delete hard, data must be always possible to be