openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Git status update
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2016 21:53:13 GMT
Happy New Year!

At some point it would be worth discussing if we want to move to Git. We
already discussed it, by that time it seemed not popular. It might be worth
to review if that is still true.

Thx
Seb

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Nalley <ke4qqq@apache.org>
Date: 2016-01-11 7:00 GMT+13:00
Subject: Git status update
To: "infrastructure@apache.org" <infrastructure@apache.org>

Greeting PMCs:
(bcc to pmcs@apache.org)

Following direction from the Board, Infrastructure has modified git to
permit force pushes, and branch/tag deletion.

In accordance with the guidance that the Board we've implemented a few
changes you should be aware of:

First, If a forced commit is pushed, the subsequent commit email will
contain '[Forced Update!]' in the subject line. The hope here is that
it draws extra attention to the situation for a project community to
be aware, and take appropriate action if needed.

Second, we've changed the 'protected' portions of git to primarily
focus on refs/tags/rel - thus any tags under rel, will have their
entire commit history. This provides the provenance that the ASF needs
for releases, while still giving projects the ability to mold their
repository in the way they see fit.

Thus when a release vote is successful - part of the release process
should become tagging the voted upon commit SHA under rel/ to make it
indelible. ('# git tag rel/v15.4.2 ' or something similar.)

If you have questions, please feel free to email infrastructure@apache.org

--David
on behalf of Apache Infrastructure

--