openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject GPL v3 library in ASF project Was: Datetime picker for calendar (and maybe other components)
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:04:35 GMT
Hello legal folks,

One of openmeetings contributors asks if we can use GPL v3 (no
optional clauses) library in our product. I think that so-called
compatibility with APL is only one way compatibility [1] and we still
cannot use GPL-ed products in our code. Could you please comment on
this?

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Maxim Solodovnik <solomax666@gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree
> AFAIK derived means you have changes something and include changed library
> to your product.
>
> According to the link below:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html
>
> In addition to clarifying the rules about licenses that are already
> GPL-compatible, GPLv3 is also newly compatible with a few other licenses.
> The Apache License 2.0 is a prime example.
>

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> When some product uses a library, the product is derived.
>> --
>> With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
>> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
>> http://dataved.ru/
>> +7 916 562 8095
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Maxim Solodovnik <solomax666@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > We are going to use their library with no modifications, so this is not
>> the
>> > case?

>> available
>> that