openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPL v3 library in ASF project Was: Datetime picker for calendar (and maybe other components)
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:22:46 GMT
The key here is:
  http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#principles

By including GPL'd software into the distribution you are imposing
*more* constraints on (downstream) users. That is not allowed. End of
story. We want our end users to have as much flexibility as possible.
Our entire Foundation is constructed around our permissive ALv2
license. We *strive* to produce all of our products under that
license, or a similarly permissive approach. We hope that all of our
communities work to produce products under these
open/unconstrained/permissive licenses. Shoot for ALv2, and avoid the
reciprocal licenses where possible, so that we don't surprise our
downstream/users with surprising constraints.

You may include other software which is similarly permissive as the
ALv2. You may include user-choice dependencies of other other
licenses, which are optional (not mandatory/required). Don't surprise
our users. Permissive is the goal.

Cheers,
-g

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Alexei Fedotov
<alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Christian.
>
> Maxim, I'm sorry, we cannot have a dependency from GPL v3 library.
> --
> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
> http://dataved.ru/
> +7 916 562 8095
>

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Christian Müller
> <christian.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You cannot as mentioned at http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christian
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello legal folks,
>>>
>>> One of openmeetings contributors asks if we can use GPL v3 (no
>>> optional clauses) library in our product. I think that so-called
>>> compatibility with APL is only one way compatibility [1] and we still
>>> cannot use GPL-ed products in our code. Could you please comment on
>>> this?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.en.html
>>> --
>>> With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
>>> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
>>> http://dataved.ru/
>>> +7 916 562 8095

Apache