openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From "George Kirkham" <gkirk...@co2crc.com.au>
Subject SUCCESS - Testing application to compare Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC) in SWF11 in OpenMeetings
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 21:59:51 GMT
Hi Sebastian,

I have managed to set up a test environment where I can use the
"test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf" application and verify that selecting
"useEchoSuppression" and "use Enhanced Microphone" options really does
make a great difference in reducing echo.

Yes, this works just great !   How difficult is it to introduce into the
current OpenMeetings build?  It would be worthwhile if you could.

I have one laptop in particular that is good for causing echo, as it has
no internal hardware echo cancellation features.

After setting up an OpenMeetings test server, I then used this laptop to
run test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf and below are the steps that I used to
verify the effectiveness of this echo test;

1)      Test 1 - Open Internet Explorer and connect to
test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf on my OpenMeetings server

2)      In the "URL:" field, change 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of my
OpenMeetings server

3)      Leave "useEchoSuppression" and "Use Enhanced Microphone" enabled

4)      Right click the test window to bring up Adobe Flash Player's
menu, select "Settings...", and ensure that "Reduce Echo" is selected in
the microphone tab.

5)      Connect by selecting "connectRtmpConnection"

6)      Select "startBroadCast" to start broadcasting my video and sound

7)      Now on the same PC, I select "playBroadCast" to start receiving
my broadcasted my video and sound

8)      There is a short delay between my speaking and hearing myself
via the speakers in the laptop.

9)      I adjust the volume on the speakers so that the play back of my
voice is loud and clear, almost to the point where the sound is being
picked up by the laptop's inbuilt  microphone and is producing a delayed
echo.

10)   Now that all is working well, and I can see my video and hear my
voice, I stop playback, and stop broadcasting, and close the web
browser.

11)   Test 2 - Open Internet Explorer and connect to
test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf on my OpenMeetings server

12)   In the "URL:" field, change 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of my
OpenMeetings server

13)   I uncheck "useEchoSuppression" and uncheck "Use Enhanced
Microphone" enabled

14)   Right click the test window to bring up Adobe Flash Player's menu,
select "Settings...", and ensure that "Reduce Echo" is still selected in
the microphone tab.

15)   Connect by selecting "connectRtmpConnection"

16)   Select "startBroadCast" to start broadcasting my video and sound

17)   Now on the same PC, I select "playBroadCast" to start receiving my
broadcasted my video and sound

18)   As soon as I select "playBroadCast", the most dreadful squealing
echo starts up, and when I speak there is echo of my speech.

19)   If I turn the volume right down to where the audio is almost
unheard, the squealing echo stops. But as soon as I try to turn the
volume up where it is useful, the echo returns.

Test 1- No echo when Echo Suppression is  enabled.

Test 2 - Background echo is a major issue when  Echo Suppression is  not
activated.

Thanks,

George Kirkham

IT Manager

Cooperative Research Centre For Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC)

NFF House, 14 - 16 Brisbane Avenue, Barton, ACT, 2600, Australia

T: (02) 6120 1600

F: (02) 6273 7181

E: gkirkham@co2crc.com.au,

W: www.co2crc.com.au