openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC 2012] German Grekhov proposal
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 07:20:20 GMT
Hi German,

thanks for the proposal!

Could you please explain a bit more detailed what you are going to do and
what tools and methods you will be exactly using? For example for UI
changes it is common that you might include a small mackup that describes
the changes.

About the automatic bandwidth detection / adjustment:
I would like to know what process you imagine to adjust the bandwidth. To
detect the bandwidth is one thing, however to change somebodys bandwidth
you would need to re-publish his stream with different video settings.  The
width and height of the video has the biggest impact on bandwidth. However
changing the video pod width/height "auto-magically" is no option... the
user chooses that value.
The bandwidth detection also cannot change the download rate of anybody,
you can only influence the upload bandwidth. If you want to change
somebodys download rate the only option you got is turning on/off video as
we don't provide different streams available for each participant.
Measuring the bandwidth while you are doing conferencing is also not that
easy, you can hardly do load test permanently while conferencing as the
bandwidth test will affect the conference (for example audio will stutter
et cetera).
So I wonder what exactly have you in mind ? What tools and methods are you
going to use ?

Thanks!
Sebastian

--