openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1310263 - in /incubator/openmeetings/trunk/singlewebapp: WebContent/red5/ src/org/openmeetings/app/ src/org/openmeetings/app/data/conference/ src/org/openmeetings/app/data/user/ src/org/openmeetings/app/installation/ src/org/openmee
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 09:50:42 GMT
Hi Maxim,

I have tested the command line client so far, it is looking great :) I was
able to do a basic installation on my windows machine with it. I think on
the long run we will delete the Web-Installer and replace with the CLI
interface and maybe some GUI for users to click through that internally
then triggers functions of this CLI.

I think we should discuss the usage of the tool from a user perspective:

Use-case:
User downloads the package from our website and wants to install.

Expects: Do one command to install OpenMeetings.

Currently he will have to manually copy and edit the db-template.
It would be cool if the CLI interface to install openmeetings would have an
optional parameters like:
-db_type mysql -db_user my_user -db_pass my_user -db_name my_db
that copies the template directly so user does not need to manually edit
files.

After installation not all parameters are set: If he wants to change the
mail server settings he will need to restart red5/openmeetings. I think you
might consider adding those optional parameters:
system_email_addr optional, smtp_server, smtp_port, system_email_addr,
email_username, email_userpass mail.smtp.starttls.enable

And it is likely that for example our script is only a small part of a
bigger script that for example installs OO-service, image-magick or as part
of a Debian/RedHat/whatever linux package. An interactive question like
"Please enter password" could make it quite difficult to use our script in
those scenarios. So I think you might consider using something like:
-password as normal parameter instead of the interactive question.

Thanks!
Sebastian