openmeetings-dev mailing list archives

From "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <seba.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC 2012] German Grekhov proposal
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 10:35:53 GMT
*Have I understood right that upload stream from a user with a wide
connection is with high quality, but then when it has gone to the
server the quality of the download stream could be changed for a user
with narrow connection? What do you think about the importance of the
task?*
=> No, curently we can't deliver different stream based on user
configuration. Basically this task requires to modify Red5.
Importance of that feature ... well sure it would be nice and important to
be able to have the option to watch a stream in different quality modes and
eventually in HTTP streaming instead of flash. At some point it will
require you to think about how to transcode the stream on server side et
cetera. So it is basically a server side project. However it is up to you
to decide if you want to apply for such a project.

*How do you estimate this task? Is it the task for whole GSoC or just a
part? If it is for the whole GSoC, I could make it.*
=> Hm yes sure we could make this task grow, however if you want to just do
this single tool you will have to give much more details about it so that
3th parties understand what is involved in it so that it takes 4 months to
implement it.

As far is I do understand you want to work with the UI. So your Proposal
could cover those tasks:
1) Bandwidth / Network testing tool,
attached is a screenshot from such a tool, so that tool would have 5
indicators:
Ports, Connection, Repeat time, Download Speed, Upload speed
You would need to create a server side servlet for testing the upload speed.

2) Add audio/video settings to user profile
User could adjust those settings in the Testing Application that pops up
before he enters the video conference room, That way he can record 5
seconds and test on its own and then store the settings to his profile.
=> You should add a small mockup what of what it should look like

3) Improve the video pods
I did not understand what you want to do here

Sebastian