openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Is OpenJPA 2.4.0 is released or not
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:41:08 GMT
Hi Henno,
big thanks for doing the tests and also for giving us the feedback!
We also use 2.4.0 in production already without any issues - well, at least without any regressions
;)

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 21.09.2015 um 09:44 schrieb Henno Vermeulen <henno@huizemolenaar.nl>:
>
> The documentation does list 2.4.0 as a release so I think they just forgot to update
the downloads page!
> I'm no OpenJPA committer, perhaps they can give the "official" answer, but here's our
practical answer:

> We are using OpenJPA for a few years now. I can confirm from our experience that the
enhancer for OpenJPA 2.3.0 is not able to enhance classes that are compiled with Java 8. It
should be possible to compile with Java 7 and use a Java 8 runtime, but we haven't tried this.

> We have been using 2.4.0 with Java 7 in production (around 20 users) for quite a few
months. We have very thorough tests that use OpenJPA and the actual database. All of them
were passing on 2.3.0 and Java 7 and are now passing on 2.4.0 with either Java 7 or 8, so
for us there are no new bugs in 2.4.0 on top of Java 8.

> We actually started using Java 8 in production since this weekend, due to extensive testing
I'm confident everything works fine. I can't yet say whether lambdas inside entities are working
correctly, but I don't see why they shouldn't.

> In short: I would say it's safe to use OpenJPA 2.4.0 and it won't be a barrier to adopt
Java 8.
> If you encounter other barriers for Java 8 adoption, consider compiling with Java 7 but
running with a recent Java 8 JRE.

> Henno Vermeulen

valid build for production purposes?

> Am I correct that this version is required to enhance classes in a Java8 runtime? A Java8
migration is highly desirable but wonder if OpenJPA will be a barrier.