openjpa-users mailing list archives

From Henno Vermeulen <he...@huizemolenaar.nl>
Subject RE: Is OpenJPA 2.4.0 is released or not
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2015 07:44:32 GMT
The documentation does list 2.4.0 as a release so I think they just forgot to update the downloads
page!
I'm no OpenJPA committer, perhaps they can give the "official" answer, but here's our practical
answer:

We are using OpenJPA for a few years now. I can confirm from our experience that the enhancer
for OpenJPA 2.3.0 is not able to enhance classes that are compiled with Java 8. It should
be possible to compile with Java 7 and use a Java 8 runtime, but we haven't tried this.

We have been using 2.4.0 with Java 7 in production (around 20 users) for quite a few months.
We have very thorough tests that use OpenJPA and the actual database. All of them were passing
on 2.3.0 and Java 7 and are now passing on 2.4.0 with either Java 7 or 8, so for us there
are no new bugs in 2.4.0 on top of Java 8.

We actually started using Java 8 in production since this weekend, due to extensive testing
I'm confident everything works fine. I can't yet say whether lambdas inside entities are working
correctly, but I don't see why they shouldn't.

In short: I would say it's safe to use OpenJPA 2.4.0 and it won't be a barrier to adopt Java
8.
If you encounter other barriers for Java 8 adoption, consider compiling with Java 7 but running
with a recent Java 8 JRE.

Henno Vermeulen